Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with seven sets of remains exhumed -Wealthify
Charles H. Sloan-Latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with seven sets of remains exhumed
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 18:11:57
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Charles H. Sloanlatest search for the remains of victims of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre has ended with 59 graves found and seven sets of remains exhumed, according to Oklahoma state archaeologist Kary Stackelbeck.
The excavation ended Friday, Stackelbeck said, and 57 of the 59 graves were unmarked and previously unknown.
The seven that were exhumed were found in simple, wooden boxes that Stackelbeck has said investigators were searching for because they were described in newspaper articles at the time, death certificates and funeral home records as the type used for burials of massacre victims.
“For all of those seven individuals that we’ve exhumed up to this point in time, those individuals have been transported to our onsite forensic laboratory,” where efforts to identify them and determine the causes of their deaths will begin.
None of the remains found thus far have been confirmed as victims of the massacre.
The seven exhumed remains will be reburied in their original grave sites after the forensic analysis is complete and any DNA is collected, according to a news release from the city of Tulsa.
Any recoverable DNA will be collected and sent to Intermountain Forensic in Salt Lake City in an effort to help identify them. Previous searches have resulted in 66 sets of remains located and 22 sent to the Utah lab.
The just-ended search began Sept. 5 and was the third such excavation in the search for the remains of the estimated 75 to 300 Black people killed during the 1921 massacre at the hands of a white mob that descended on Greenwood, the Black section of Tulsa.
More than 1,000 homes were burned, hundreds more were looted and destroyed and a thriving business district known as Black Wall Street was destroyed.
The three known living survivors of the massacre are appealing a ruling that dismissed their lawsuit seeking reparations from the city and other defendants for the destruction of the once-thriving Black district.
veryGood! (413)
Related
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Turkish warplanes hit Kurdish militia targets in north Syria after US downs Turkish armed drone
- Fire sweeps through a 6-story residential building in Mumbai, killing 6 and injuring dozens
- 73-year-old woman attacked by bear near US-Canada border, officials say; park site closed
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- What’s streaming now: Drake, ‘Fair Play,’ Assassin’s Creed Mirage and William Friedkin’s last film
- North Korea provides Russia artillery for the Ukraine war as U.S. hands Kyiv ammunition seized from Iran
- TikToker Alix Earle Shares How She Overcame Eating Disorder Battle
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- Guatemala’s highest court says prosecutors can suspend president-elect’s party
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- An aid group says artillery fire killed 11 and injured 90 in a Sudanese city
- Tom Brady Says He Has “a Lot of Drama” in His Life During Conversation on Self-Awareness
- Rifts in Europe over irregular migration remain after ‘success’ of new EU deal
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- A modest Buddhist ceremony marks the anniversary of a day care center massacre in Thailand
- Donald Trump’s lawyers seek to halt civil fraud trial and block ruling disrupting real estate empire
- $1.4 billion jackpot up for grabs in Saturday's Powerball drawing
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Tom Brady Says He Has “a Lot of Drama” in His Life During Conversation on Self-Awareness
Rifts in Europe over irregular migration remain after ‘success’ of new EU deal
Guatemala’s highest court says prosecutors can suspend president-elect’s party
What to watch: O Jolie night
AP Week in Pictures: Europe and Africa | Sept. 29-Oct. 5, 2023
An Airbnb renter allegedly overstayed more than 520 days without paying – but says the homeowner owes her money
A Russian missile attack in eastern Ukraine kills a 10-year-old boy, a day after a rocket killed 51